1.2 to 1.3.1 kernel

I've recently upgraded from 1.2 to 1.3.1 and I'd like to congratulate the
development team. The upgrade went much smoother than the upgrade of 0.93 to
1.2
Some observations:
  1 ) had to manually upgrade dpkg before the rest of the upgrade would fly
without errors. As a side note, Bash 2.0.3 came on the CD. I vaguely remember
that there was a major problem with that particular version of Bash, so I
downgraded to the Bash from 1.2.
  2 ) the default kernel hangs on the point of detecting "jukebox" type SCSI
devices. Fortunely, I had an older kernel on floppy and was able to get the
new kernel re-compiled without "multiple LUN detection".
  3 ) After fixing the kernel situation and re-booting into the new 2.0.30
kernel, I decided to really customize the kernel and used the make-kpkg to
wrap up my new kernel. Problem is that the new kernel*.deb package _will not_
install! I looked at the /var/lib/dpkg/info/kernel-image-2.0.30.postinst
script and did each step by hand. All went smoothly. Any suggestions on how to
fix this so dpkg can install the custom kernel package and update the dpkg
status?

--
-= Sent by Debian 1.3.1 Linux =-
Thomas Kocourek  KD4CIK - member of ARRL