2.1.30 and 3c900 module: Transmitter access conflict

Hi,

The subject says it all:  I am installing a Debian 1.3.1 system on a
brand new PC with a 3c900 Combo board.  Since I have a Buslogic
Flashpoint SCSI card, I used the disks under the special/ directory,
which use 2.1.30.  Loading the 3c59x module seems to work, because the
module correctly recognises the board.  It then prints the following
messages:

3c59x.c:v0.30-all 12/23/96 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
  3Com EtherLink III: Overriding PCI latency timer (CFLT) setting of 32, new value is 255.
eth0: 3Com 3c900 Boomerang 10Mbps/Combo at 0xd400, 00:60:08:12:4d:ef, IRQ 12
  Internal config register is 10302d8, transceivers 0xe138.
  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/10baseT interface.

Which is okay (I think), apart from the fact that the used interface
is really the AUI.  Then I run /etc/init.d/network, obtaining these
messages:

eth0: initial media type 10baseT.
eth0: vortex_open() InternalConfig 010302d8.
eth0: vortex_open() irq 12 media status 8800.
eth0: Media selection timer tick happened, 10baseT.
eth0: Media 10baseT is has no link beat, 80c0.
eth0: Media selection failed, now trying 10base2 port.
eth0: Media selection timer finished, 10base2.
eth0: Media selection timer tick happened, 10base2.
eth0: Media 10base2 is has no indication, 4810.
eth0: Media selection timer finished, 10base2.

I would have expected a word about the AUI interface, but there is
not.  Anyway, if I now try a ping to a numerical IP address, I get
sequences of:

eth0: Transmitter access conflict.

and, needless to say, no response to the ping is received (so I assume
nothing is getting out of the card).

Anyone has any idea of what's happening?  Donald, are you listening?
Thanks to all

Francesco