Freebsd, Debian, Caldera

Well, I have used Slakware, and I liked it, but I could never get the
ppp setup correct.  Now I'm trying to run Freebsd, very good and seems
to be pretty self configuring, TOO self configuring as I don't even know
what the exe programs are.  Really confused by it.  It's really lean
though.

So now I'm probably going to reinstall Linux.  I don't have the money to
cough up to get Caldera...  So how does Debian compare to those two?  I
mean, Yahoo and cdrom.com run Freebsd, those are so big names to back
that up.

I guess I am just asking if you all have used either one, and can tell
me how Debian compares.

Thanx in advance,
Albert