How do I set LOCALE?

Please excuse the stupid question.

I have been reading the interesting discussion about setting locale.  I
could not see, however how do you do it.  I have for instance tried "set
LANG='uk'" in bash, and it have no effect on the LOCALE-settings.

The locale-manpage did not help me.  I could also not find something about
it in "Linux in a Nutshell" or the Linux System Administrator's Guide.

Johann.

Johann Spies
jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za

Windsorlaan 19