Re: chimera compile: package dependencies

> Hi,
>
> 	In a previous post I asked for help compiling  the chimera-1.65
> web browse. When I ran xmkmf -a, I got the following message:
>
> 	bash# xmkmf -a
> 	imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
> 	Imakefile.c:3: Imake.tmpl: No such file or directory
> 	imake: Exit code 33.  Stop.
> 	bash#
>
> 	Someone (I think it was Joost.  Sorry if I got your name wrong.
> I don't have the message anymore.)

Yes, you got that name right. But you may be confused somewhat, as the
other bloke responding (Joost Kooij) is a (recent?) immitation Joost
of the real joost that initially answered your question (me). Joost
is a rather common name, in the netherlands.

> was kind enough to tell me that I
> needed xlib6-dev to get the missing files.  I've got them  from the
> Debian site but as a result have been sent on a depedency chase.  I have
> lost my way and would be greatful for some more help.

> 	I should mention that I am using Debian 1.1.

Yes, that's an interesting bit of info! Joost's advice to get a
debian-1.3 CD is very sound. But maybe you've still got xlib6-dev
(whatever the package name was then) from you 1.1 distribution?
That would make things a lot easier for you (unless it's easy for
you to install 1.3, then by all means do that!).

> # dpkg --unpack libc6_2.0.5c-0.1.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package libc6.
> dpkg: regarding libc6_2.0.5c-0.1.deb containing libc6:
>  libc5 conflicts with libc6
>   libc6 (version 2.0.5c-0.1) is to be installed.
> dpkg: error processing libc6_2.0.5c-0.1.deb (--unpack):
>  conflicting packages - not installing libc6
>  libc6_2.0.5c-0.1.deb

Uhm, nobody told you to install libc6, did they? Installing
xlib6-dev from the debian "bo" (stable) archive does not need
libc6.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

My spamfilter is so good, it correctly catches 90% of incoming spam,
*including* all email from my PhD supervisor.