Re: SB16 Pnp - help...

On Thu, Oct 30, 1997 at 01:49:32PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Bruno Simoes wrote:
>
> > > Do you have a pnp bios?
> > Yes, I do
>
> Well,  then,  all you really need to do is compile the kernel with sound
> support.  It might be a little tough to figure out what parameters to
> compile in (DMA channels,  I/O regions,  etc.) because generally one does
> this by booting to Win95 and stealing the parameters from there.
>
> There's no need to use isapnptools,  because your bios will handle setting
> everything up ok.
>                      					Will

Maybe this is true, maybe not. Sometimes the PnP Bios is sufficient,
sometimes it only initializes a part of the adresses. In this case you have
to use ISAPnPtools anyway.

The best way to check is to try it. For the SB 16, there is a good chance
that PnP Bios is enough, but for every soundcard that has more devices you
have to use ISAPnPtools, otherwise you would be missing e.g. midi sound.

Thank you,
Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."