On entering a secure directory, would like warning.

I have been told to display a warning message whenever a person enters a
particular, "secure", directory.  Of course, on first thought this is a
lame idea since people can access a directory without using "cd".
And you cannot put out a message into standard output whenever the
directory is accessed since this contaminates the data returning to the
requesting program.  And I imagine complications if I allowed NFS access.

However, perhaps standard error output could contain such a warning.
Does anyone know how I might display a warning on entering a secure
directory, or if this is a lame idea?

Jim Burt, jameson@mnsinc.com