Thanks and a question

Recently I did the libc5-to-libc6 install, and wound up with a
broken system.  *One day* after I had posted a question, Carey
Evans had responded with some suggestions that solved my problem.
For this quick service I thank him and this group.

It turns out that my problem was due to the fact that I had
LD_PRELOAD set to libgnumalloc.so.5, which is apparently no
longer needed with libc6.  But my question is this:  I had
added this environment variable long ago because it was needed
by some program (I can't recall which one!).  But I have no idea
what LD_PRELOAD is really for.  The only info is a very
unenlightening line in the manual for ld.so.  Can someone
point me towards an explanation of how this variable helps
"badly written programs don't crash so often"?

	Thanks,    Sherm Ostrowsky