Re: Thanks for the help with compiling a new kernel... BUT!

Hi,

I finally got over my  signal 11 problems and can now recompile a kernel.
The problems seem to have been due to bad RAM. I reinitialized my
partitions because I was afraid I would run into filesystem problems due to
the numerous times my computer froze when I was trying to recompile a
kernel.

I tried the kernel package and compilation went fine except it didn't seem
to compile any of the new modules even though I requested SCSI support,
SCSI disk support, and the driver AHA152x. I say this because when I
noticed it had not detected any scsi hosts, I searched for a file:
aha152x.o and didn't see anything like it on the whole hard drive.
Lines from my .config file:
CONFIG_MODULES=Y
#CONFIG_MOVERSIONS is not set
CONFIG_KERNELD=y
#CONFIG_MAX_16M=Y
CONFIG_SCSI=Y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=Y
CONFIG_CHAR_DEV_ST=Y
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA152X=Y

The only thing I did different from below was that I used 'make config'

Could this have anything to do w/answering NO to the question about modules
version numbers?

>I am still having a lot of trouble!  I have no trouble running:
>
>'make xconfig', followed by
>'make kpkg-clean',
>'make-kpkg -r custom.1.0 kernel_image'
>'dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel-image-2.0.30_custom.1.0_i386.deb

Couple other "newbie" questions for you:
- Since my kernel isn't working right yet, can I recompile a new kernel
from the same directory I compiled the previous one? Do I need to change
the numbering in custom.1.?

- Since I didn't limit the kernel to 16 MB & kernel-kpkg defaults to
bZimage, should my new kernel detect 24 MB? My boot messages say 16MB after
recompiling.

- If I add new RAM to my system, do I need to recompile the kernel for it
to be able to use all of it?

LThanks,
Thalia