Can Debian replace Windows NT Server?

I know this is a FAQ, and the answer is no in principle, because the Samba
team won't do any development regarding authentication services (with a
justified reason), but I'd like to know if Debian can replace NTS --
obviating the lack of authentication.

What I have here is a lab with a Pentium 166/40 MB/4 GB running NTS...
it's acting as a boot and disk server for 10 PC's running Windows 3.11. I
don't really see why cann't Debian do this. Has anybody here had any
experiences with similar setups. I hate the fact that the license for NT
has already been paid for, but I understand it's recyclable (pick up the
phone, call CS guys and tell them the license is no longer being used) so
it's not a complete waste (ok, it's NT, it *is* a waste).

What I'm looking for here are "real life experiences" in order to convince
the people here that it's doable.

Many many thanks in advance,

					Marcelo E. Magallón
					<mmagallo@efis.ucr.ac.cr>