Newbie trying to install debian

Hi! I'm trying to take a small plunge in the world of linux. I have an
older computer 386DX Unisys with 8 meg memory, AHA1520 scsi hosts, two
older scsi drives, one a 320mg maxtor, the other a 100mg quantum. Tried
to install debian on the second quantum drive with floppies.

	At first, the install never read the hard drives. I did a little
reading and figured I needed to add the following line at boot: floppy
aha152x=0x340,11,7,1. Then it read the hard drive info, but when it came
time to load the "root" disk, I get "Panic Kernel: VFS: Unable to mount
foot fs on 2:00." There's some information before this but i couldn't
get print screen to work so I could send it to you. Anyway, at this
point, the install routine just hangs up.

	I'm hoping this is a simple fix, don't know if I'm up to compiling a
kernel (might be interesting, though :-))

Thanx for any help you can render,
i.b.mackey