nis & weak passwords

Hello,

apparently yppasswd in the nis package wasn't compiled with

-DUSE_OBVIOUS

to check for weak passwords. I found out that more than 20% of the user
passwords in a Debian net I was managing were _very_ weak (eg login name). Not
a very comfortable figure (even if one's using shadow passwords).

I was inclined to install npasswd (or even a modified yppasswd) in
/usr/local/bin. However, the server, yppasswdd, doesn't require that its
clients talk to it from privileged ports (so yppasswd doesn't need to be suid
root and I can't enforce my password policy).

I think it would be nice if Debian addressed this (potential) security problem
in an out-of-the-box configuration... IMHO, it already beats all commercial
Unixes I know.

Thanks,

--
Adriano