minor weirdness with DISPLAY and xdm

I remember when I logged in with xdm, my DISPLAY variable used to be set to
":0.0". Now it is set to "kite:0.0". I haven't done anything I can think of
to change it besides upgrading the X packages. I have tried inserting lines
in the Xsession files, etc, to force my DISPLAY back to ":0.0", and nothing
seems to work. Yes, this is almost purely a cosmetic issue, but does anyone
know how I can force it to ":0.0"?

--
see shy jo, writing block text by accident