From: Duane Griffin <94008387@uni.massey.ac.nz>
Newsgroups: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.software.year-2000
Subject: Re: GNU software Year 2000 Ready?
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:34:38 +1300

The latest issue of UniForum NZ News (October, 1997, which I have no
doubt everyone here is familiar with :) includes an article by Bill
Parkin (Linux Lines, p. 7) on a basic Y2K test he did on a Linux system
(Debian, recent release, disconnected from network, x86 machine(?)).
In brief, aside from a small CMOS glitch that was easily resolved,
everything seemed to work fine. The machine was told it was 2004, and
rebooted, then left running for over two days, with periodic checks.
Cron jobs ran fine; system logs showed no problems; no errors detected
in any of the basic utilities; NTP (using xntpd) also stayed happy and
healthy, aside from noting the rest of the world was missing.
This test was far from complete, or rigorous (from what I read), but is
still good news, worth noting. Bill has promised to do more testing,
including tests on mail and usenet software using a couple of machines.
Cheers,
Duane.
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine"
	- Bob Dylan (Tight Connection to my Heart)
Duane Griffin
#include<standard_disclaimers.h>