Interesting Networking Problem...

I have a couple of Debian 1.3.x systems on the 'Net that are experiencing an interesting problem.   These systems are located in BC, Canada.

For the past few days and next few, I'm in the Netherlands and I'm having some difficulties accessing these systems.

For the most part, they are working fine, but then, all of a sudden, they just seem to drop away.  Can't access via web, ftp, telnet, and ping times out.  After "a while" (anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours), everything acts normally again.

If I telnet into another system that is "near" these problem ones, everything is working fine.  I can telnet in, ping, etc.

Even more interesting is that one of these systems is a router to another network "behind" it.  Even if the "router" is experiencing the problems above, I can get through to the network behind it without any problems....

So, at first, I thought it might be just a routing problem - timout's somewhere - but that doesn't explain why systems behind the router are still accessible normally.

Any ideas on what might be happening here?

TIA for any suggestions,

Kevin Traas                    Baan Business Systems
Systems Analyst            Langley, BC, Canada
ktraas@baan-bbs.ca       (604) 882-8169
http://www.baan-bbs.ca