dselect infinite loop?

Hi

A weird thing happens to deselect when I run it.  It keeps replacing
existing files in my system even though I did not select it.  And it keeps
on doing this over and over again.  This is the first time this has
happened.  Normally is simply skips over files that were already selected,
but not anymore I have to Ctrl-C to stop deselect.  Is this a bug with
deselect or is this bug in my system?  Please let me know

Thanks
Patrick