X windows

Hello!
Recently, I installed Debian Gnu/Linux on my home computer. Since then,
I've been trying to install and configure X with little success.  I have
a feeling that the problem is in my choice of video cards during
XF86Setup.

I have STB Velocity 128 4MB video card with an AGP bus.  Since there is
no exact match in XF86Setup, I've tried the following:
     STB Systems Velocity 3D
     STB Nitro 3D
     STB LightSpeed 128
     STB LightSpeed
     STB Nitro(64)
     STB Nitro 64 Video
     STB Systems Powergraph 3D
All of the above gave me an X window that was too large.  The screen was
shifted to the right, such that only half of the screen was visible.

I also tried using the STB Velocity 64 Video, but I got the following
error message:
     X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't Connect: errno=111

I would really like to install and configure X properly, and  would
greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Melani Pathyil