Re: dselect problem...

David Puryear wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> With deselect, I have the Access with ftp with right directory and all then I
> pick update which download new packages files from dists/unstable/main,
> non-free, and contrib like the way it should. But when I do Install I get this
> messages:
> Processing status file...
> Processing Package files...
> Couldn't find packages file for dists/unstable/main distribution (re-run Update)
> Couldn't find packages file for dists/unstable/contrib distribution (re-run
> Update)
> Couldn't find packages file for dists/unstable/non-free distribution (re-run
> Update)
> Constructing list of files to get...
> Approximate total space required: 0k
> Available space in /debian: 109334k
> Nothing to get.
>
> I don't know why dselect is not see he packages file, which is in
> /var/lib/dpkg/methods/ftp/* with names Packages.dists_unstable_contrib,
> Packages.dists_unstable_main, and Packages.dsts_unstble_non-free. I can't
> figure out why this is happening since I have used same steps to update in
> another machine without this problem.

I got this problem as well when I upgrade from Debian 1.2 to 1.3.
I overcame it by turning off the passive FTP tranfer mode when selecting
the access method.

Hope it works for you as well.

ST
|  LUK ShunTim                                  |
|  Civil and Structural Engineering Department  |
|  Hong Kong Polytechnic University             |
|  Kowloon                                      |
|  Hong Kong                                    |
|  http://www.cse.polyu.edu.hk/~stluk/          |
|  email: cestluk@polyu.edu.hk                  |
|  phone: (852) 27666064                        |
|  fax:   (852) 23346389                        |