Re: dselect problem...

On 26 Oct 1997, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> David Puryear <dayear@codenet.net> writes:
> > With deselect, I have the Access with ftp with right directory and all then I
> > pick update which download new packages files from dists/unstable/main,
> > non-free, and contrib like the way it should. But when I do Install I get this
> > messages:
> > Processing status file...
> > Processing Package files...
> > Couldn't find packages file for dists/unstable/main distribution (re-run Update)
> If I recall properly, I had this problem at one point and solved by
> upgrading to a newer dpkg-ftp.  Try downloading the newest version
> from hamm with a regular ftp program and installing with `dpkg -i'.
> Then re-run Update and Install and see if that fixes the problem.

Ups, this seems a very brute-force fix. What happens if you "clear the
list of available packages"? or run dpkg --forget-old-unavail and rerun
update? or you can try to "[not] keep debian directory [y/n]" at the end
of the Install dialog. Dselect is quite self-reparatory, so fiddling
around for a while with it already solved such problems for me.

I think forcing someone to use unstable packages when having such kind of
problems is not the best way. a lot of people are using stable without
these problems. Are you sure you don't need extra packages when using
dpkg-ftp from hamm?

Gruss
--
Lukas Eppler (godot)