Re: guavac: no documentation

> I have decided to learn Java.  Debian comes with a package, guavac,
> which is apparently a Java development environment.
>
> Anyway:  are there any better Linux development tools for a Java
> beginner?  Are there any guavac docs that actually have information in
> them?  Should I reinstall guavac to get the docs working?

Hi.

The best way is always use the tools from the "source" :)
Download jdk (java davelopment kit from Sun). It is packaged nicely
for debian in non-free section, the package names are jdk-common,
jdk-apidocs (what you are dreaming of :)
jdk-demo
jdk-common
jdk-shared (if you have Motif)
jdk-static (if you don't)

All these packages are for java 1.0.2

Current juva release 1.1.x you may found in hamm/non-free as
jdk1.1-docdemo
jdk1.1-runtime
jdk1.1-dev

Get the good book anyway. For starters, I recommend "The Java Programming
Language" by Gosling and Joy. Flanagan's "Java in a nutshell" is a good
reference.

Good luck.

Alex Y.
--