kernel messages [WAS: Sig 11 problems...]

Hi,

I was just noticed in my log files that I have these messages in my
/var/adm/kern.log:
attempt to access beyond end of device
03:02: rw=0, want 707406379, limit 1433376

This message is repeated several times and ultimately the computer locks up.
Does someone have an idea what is causing these messages?

btw, the only process being run by a user at this point is myself trying to
build a new kernel.

Thanks,
Thalia