Re: The real Debian.org -> please read

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:

> If you are new to Debian, please don't make the mistake I made. This is a closed
> software project, where you are allowed to contribute only if you surcome to the
> personal agenda of the current leadership. This is the structure and model of the
> project, make no bones about it.

I am a developer, albeit a fringe developer in that I do not maintain many
packages or any mainstream packages. I became a developer to give
something back to Debian as I and my department (economics, not the
institute below) uses the Debian distribution more and more every day. I
have not always agreed on the management technique, but Debian is a
volunteer organization. It is large. It is not perfect. Inherent in any
organization of this nature is disagreement and the need for some subset
of volunteers to have a final say. Otherwise nothing would be
accomplished. Overall I am immensely pleased with Debian.  I was openly
and freely admitted as a developer and will leave when and if I decide I
do not agree with the direction Debian is headed. There are many linux
distributions including Debian that all have their advantages and
disadvantages. Debian is no exception. We are all free to choose among
them.

New users, old users, new developers, etc. - please make the above
judgments for yourself. I cannot find any logic in Mr. Cinege's attacks on
the Debian project and am at a loss to why he expends so much effort
abusing something he seems to dislike. I assume that I am missing parts of
his arguments as some discussions were in private and therefore I am not
fully informed. However, that is irrelevant. These skirmishes have never
affected me in any way nor in the way that I approach the organization and
use the distribution. I am thrilled with Debian and, with a lot of help
from Dirk Eddelbuettel, have easily convinced my department Debian is
stable enough to switch from AIX to Debian/GNU Linux for all applications.

Colin Telmer.

--
Colin Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
School of Policy Studies Building, Room 309, Queen's University