Re: Applixware

I've been using Applixware under Debian for several months.

> I, too, am interested in the compatability especially when it comes to power
> point and word.

There have only been a few times I've tried reading MS Word files, it worked once, failed
once.  I've output RTF files that were somewhat complex with only one known formatting
error.  (I say known because I never did see the end result to make a comparison...)

> There are a lot of people out there with old SPARC stations on their networks
> that are replacing them with NT workstations because Sun wants an arm and a leg
> to upgrade them to Ultra's.  Linux with Applixware and CDE might make a nice,
> low-cost alternative on the IPC/IPX platform.  I suppose I am going to have
> to wait for Debian SPARC and just test it myself.

There are many (OK, a couple) of options other than Applixware.  To be complete, I'd
suggest checking out Star Office and whatever version of WP Office Caldera is selling.

> On 25-Oct-97 Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> >

> > Has anybody experience with Applixware Office suit (sold by redhat) on a
> > Debian system? Is the installation procedure straight forward? Can you give
> > comments on the compatibility of the file formats of Applixware, MS Word and
> > Ms Powerpoint?

I've *never* used any of the MS Office products.  Applixware is the first GUI-based
package I've needed to use.  However, an associate of mine who has had a bit of MS
experience doesn't care for the latest version of Applixware - he feels it's about
two versions behind MS in functionality.  Applix's apparent internal structure should
lend itself to improved functionality quite easily, so this may change.

> > Thank you.
> >
> > --
> > Rainer Dorsch
> > Abt. Rechnerarchitektur  e-mail:rainer.dorsch@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
> > Universität Stuttgart    Tel.: 0711-7816-215

Let me know if you would like more information regarding my experiences with Applix.
Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	(419) 529-3841