Re: mounting /var/spool/mail

At 12:14 AM 25/10/97 -0400, Jason Killen wrote:
>Ok sorry for my non-well formed question.
>
>/etc/exports line looks like this (names and faces have been changed)
>
>/ 242.21.5.133 (rw,root_squash,map_daemon)
>
>In this example I have exported the root directory of the server to the
machine
>with the given ip, thats right...right.
>
>On the client I say
>mount 242.21.5.133:/ /mntpnt
>when I cd to /mntpnt/var/spool/mail and say ls the directory is empty.  On
>the server /var/spool/mail is full of files.
>
>I probally should mention that I have home mounted with out problem and
followed
>the same steps in both cases.
>
>In message <[🔎] rob-971024192932.A01278@catbert> you wrote:
>>
>>You might want to post the contents of /etc/exports, /etc/hosts.allow,
and /et
>>c/hosts.deny that reside
>>on the server plus /etc/fstab from the client.  Are there any error
messages w
>>hen you mount
>>the server?  Does the target directory exist on the client?
>>
>>Later
>>
>>Rob
>>
>--
>Jason Killen                                     Question Stupidity

We have a similar setup for users to read email;
in fstab file on the client we have
servername:/var/spool/mail    /var/spool/mail nfs
in exports file on the server we have
/var/spool/mail     *.domain(rw,squash_uids=0-99,squash_gids=0-49)
This will not export /var/spool/mail with root permissions.

Hope this helps.

Cameron Lowe
clowe@trinity.unimelb.edu.au

  (*)(*)