Mouse driver as loadable module?

Hi, everyone,

I am a new debian and unix user. I had debian 1.3.1 installed on my PC
with linux partition along the Win95 Fat32 partition, everything seems
worked fine. It'll be nice to be able to mount the win95. But the debian
installation didn't give me the choice to config the kernal to recognize
the Fat32. So, I repartitioned win95 into Fat16. But it did  not give me
enough space to hold the win95 stuff which I don't want to throw away yet.
I was impressed by the space saving of Fat32.

In a short, I had to stick to Fat32. Since I am a new unixer, I read
those kernel howto to see whether I can recompile the kernel to
recognize Fat32, but could not get any clue. Then I found this slackware
kernel which recognize the Fat32. I boot from it and it worked fine. I am
able to mount the win95 with vfat. But my mouse is not working anymore.
gpm and xserver complained no such device. This kernel at it claimed
is able to load modules dynamiclly. So, I tried kerneld to load
mouse according to the kerneld mini howto. The depmode gave lot of error
of unresolved symbol, blah. then I tried modprobe and insmod manully, they
all give same error message of:

unresolved symbol misc_deregister .....
unresolved symbol misc_register .....

Could anybody give me some help how to load mouse to this kernel? or help
me to find out how to build a kernel to recognize the Fat32? I think this
option should be include in the future debian distribution.

Sorry for the long message, I hope to give you a clearer idea where the
problem came from. Thanks a million!

Feng

* Feng Qian                                  *
* Dept. of Pharmacol. & Physiol. Sci.        *
* The University of Chicago                  *
* Phone: (773) 702-0755                      *
* e-mail: fqian@midway.uchicago.edu          *