Re: KDE Questions and Approval ...

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Adam Shand wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something here (possibly the enormity of the battle on
> 'our' hands... and I mean that seriously) but it seems to me that by
> choosing against something like KDE (which to all intents and purposes
> *is* free software to the end user) we are spiting ourselves.  When

Maybe _I'm_ missing something, but...
I don't see the problem here. KDE already has a maintainer. There are
already kde deb packages (out-of-date) and the new beta KDE deb package
will be available soon for both libc5 and libc6.

The only hindrance is that it will be in non-free and therefore not on
official Debian CD's. Just grab it from non-free from any Debian mirror.

It makes sense that the default or preferred Debian desktop/wm must be one
that is on the offical CD. That shouldn't make another any harder to
install and use unless the (automatic) menu support is lacking (as far as
I know).

There are many useful/needed packages in non-free already: glimpse,
gs-aladdin, jdk, majordomo, pico, pine, qt, quake, rman, tkman, unzip,
xanim, xv, zip, to name a few.

...RickM...