MAIL: Odd smail->exim problem

I know this is not debian specific but maybe someone here has experiance with
this. I have a smail mailhost that sends mail using demand_inet_uusmtp
transport to send mail to a second system using exim that is ultimately bound
for a third system. My mail/force.path entry for the destination site looks
like this:

foo.com         bar.com!%s

which tells smail to send any mail for foo.com to bar.com.

bar.com!foo.com!%s will not work because smail generates a routing error
because the address must be in internet format for that transport.

Now imagine I am sending a mail to fud@bar.com

Smail sends it with the correct To: header BUT the RCPT TO is changed to
fud@foo.com and the exim site (foo) bounces it.  If the intermediate site is
smail, everything works correctly ... it looks like smail tooks at To: while
exim looks at the ENVELOPE and smail rewrites the envelope.

I suppose my question is either 1) How do I tell smail that mail to bar.com
goes through foo.com using internet addressing with batched SMTP WITHOUT
changing the envelope RCPT TO to foo.com. In other words, deliver the mail to
foo.com with a RCPT TO of fud@bar.com.

OR

How do I tell exim to use the To: header rather than the envelope RCPT TO for
delivery?

Exim 1.62-3 (Debian)
Smail 3.2 (Debian)

---
George Bonser
Debian/GNU Linux  See http://www.debian.org
Linux ... It isn't just for breakfast anymore!