Re: network setup confusion

Waller Martin MEJ wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      I have two seperate problems, but both are to do with setting up
> networking.
>
> 1.
>
> My PC(s) at home:
>
> I have two connected with 3C509 ethernet cards, and have given them reserved
> IP addresses.  They talk to each other perfectly.  No problems.
>
> In one, I have a modem.  I have set it up so that it dials in to my ISP.  I
> type pon, it dials, and later ifconfig comes up with the ppp0 interface set
> to the dynamically allocated address.
>
> But, something aint quite right.  I can't ping the DNS servers or anything.
>  I can only ping the address that comes up as the P-t-P bit of the ppp0
> entry in ifcongifg.  i.e. i can't ping the bit that's listed as IP address.
>  Or the DNS servers or anything.  They're not wrong numbers as they're
> pingable under (ugh!) win95 when ppp'ed with that...
>
> I've read the NAG, net-2 howto, ppp howto, but still I can't get it to work
> right.  Is it a routing problem?  I can't find examples of a setup with
> ethernet card on a LAN and a modem for PPP.  I'm most confused and don't
> know how to continue.
>
> route -n comes up with just one ppp0 bit and three eth0 bits, if thats at
> all relevant.

Three lines of routes for eth0 eh? Is one of them the "default" route?
There should only be one route for eth0. The default route needs to go
to your ppp connection, but if you already have a default route on your
eth0 it probably won't replace that route. You should remove the
default route that is set up in /etc/init.d/network. Please send the
output of 'netstat -nr' and 'ifconfig' if this doesn't solve your
problem.

> I will happily supply extra info if it's needed!
>
> 2.
>
> My PC at work.
>
> This is even more confusing for me.  Our support people won't help as they
> only support '95 machines on the network, and I can't advocate using Linux
> until I can show people it'll work nicely sitting on the network...
>
> We have some sort of ethernet network thing behind a firewall - my machine
> here also has a 3C509 card which is recognised just fine at boot up.
>
> Allegedly, our IP addresses our allocated at boot time, but I know that
> since i started checking this (the last few weeks), I'm always given the
> same IP address (or so reports winipcfg - yes, we're on good 'ole '95).
>
> winipcfg also reports a subnet mask of 255.255.240.0, which has me stumped,
> and addresses for the default gateway and DNS.
>
> It also reports addresses of:
> DHCP server
> Primary WINS server
> Secondary WINS server.
>
> Node type is reported as 'Hybrid', IP routing and WINS proxy are not
> enabled, but NetBIOS resolution uses DNS is enabled.
>
> None of that means a thing to me tho' so I dunno if it's relevant or not.
>
> Anyway, i set up my /etc/inet.d/network stuff with the IP address i'm always
> given and the gateway and network mask as listed by winipcfg.
>
> route -n shows nothing, and ifconfig shows my eth0 as having address
> 0.0.0.0.....
>
> There's loads of messages in my xconsole box to, like ping from
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the x's are numbers...) and connection attempt from
> yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy and 'host not reachable' and other weird things.
>
> Can i get this box to sit happily on the network?  Or not?  If so how?  I am
> quite confused by routing and network stuff in general.

Yes. Your company is using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
Your machine is supposed to "lease" its IP address from a central
server which doles them out. DHCP can also give you a lot of other info,
such as DNS server IPs, WINS IPs, etc. You should install the
dhcpcd package (it's the DHCP client). You need to edit your
/etc/init.d/network and remove the ifconfig and route lines for eth0.
As to the netmask, 255.255.240 is fine and good. You must also use
this netmask. DHCP should get that for you though.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com