Compiling kernel "rm -rf asm linux scsi"?

Hi,

I am trying to compile the kernel.  The README says I should make sure
"/usr/include/asm, /usr/include/linux, and /usr/include/scsi directories
are just symlinks to the kernel sources".  They are not, so should I do a
"rm -rf asm linux scsi" as they suggest?  Does this interfere with dpkg
management?

Thanks,

Mark.