Re: new debian user questions

At 04:37 PM 10/19/1997 -0700, George Bonser wrote:

>>There was an effort to outline a configuration (administration) tool on
>>debian-admintool, but the discussion was very hot and then cooled down to
>>silence.
>>
>>However, the goal was much higher than expanding the install menu.
>>

>Still, it would be nice to run the installation menu from hard disk to do
>things as change mount points for partitions, changing network stuff
(hostname,
>IP address, netmask, whatever.)

Exactly. Lisa also lets you load kernel modules and configure hardware as
well.

For example, I can get a new Caldera install up and on the net within
minutes. Debian was not so accommodating. No modem. No modemtool app. No
LISA. Ok, MAKEDEV cua1. Dial... connected... ping junior.apk.net   ---
network unreachable

Now I have to figure out why it doesn't work and that's not my idea of fun.
:-) I suppose I should really learn more about the system, but I'd rather
not have to dive in right away.

So now I guess we're at the point of arguing about making things easy for
the user versus the user learning how to use the system.

Should there be "debian for dummies?"

--

Stuart Krivis     stuart@krivis.com
[Team OS/2]