Re: Kernel Panic !!!!!

On Sat, 18 Oct 1997, PATRICK DAHIROC wrote:

> 	hda: read_intr: status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
> 		Error}
> 	hda: read-intr: error 0x49 {UncorrectableError}, LBAsect=1897876,
> 		sector 180244
> 	end_request: I/O dev 03:02 sector 180244

> Is this as serious as it looks?

Maybe, maybe not.  Best case, you found your first bad block.  Get a list
of the bad blocks from the badblocks program and use that with fsck to
mark these as unusable.  Worst case, you are seeing the beginning of the
end of your harddrive.  The more you see, the worse it is.  And if they
keep increasing, get a new harddrive, it's not worth the trouble.  Either
way, you need to use a rescue disk, and if you can, backup anything you
want to keep.

Good luck,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu>   "We all know linux is great... it
PGP: finger -l bhmit1@cs.wm.edu          does infinite loops in 5 seconds"
Phone: (757) 221-4847                      --Linus Trovalds