Re: Very weird behaviour - hardware failure ?

Updated reflection:

	I am beginning to wonder if all this psychadelic stuff isn't
related to the initial install and physical and logical disk geometry.
My first experience with Linux was Slackware.  I got nothing but a suite
of hda: errors when I tried to make the ext2 fs checking for bad blocks.
When it sais it was finished I could never get any further until I
finally realized that it was using the logical geometry from the bios
that DOS needs.  It was not doing any translation to the actual physical
geometry.  I had to tell the install process, at the install boot prompt,
about my actual geometry.

	When i installed Debian, I noticed that it too was reporting hda
paremeters from the bios record during the boot process so I quit and
restarted.  At the new installation boot prompt I reported the physical
geometry of the HD.  The boot messages still reported the logical
geometry, and I went with that, not knowing what else to do.

	Is this OK ?  Does Debian handle making translations between
logical and physical geometry ? If not, how do I report the physical
geomtry to Debian ?

	Thanks again everyone,

	Gerald