Re: RealAudio 5.0b1: NO sound under linux 2.x

Oz Dror wrote:
> I have just installed the new version of RealAudio, but there is no sound.
>
> I get the following message in /usr/adm/messages:
>
> Oct 16 09:25:32 OZ kernel: Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer
>
> sound does work for me in RealAudio 3.0 and other application.
>
> Any ideas?

I often have this problem using various sound programs. The problem is that
the kernel needs to allocate memory in a certian region, and if the memory
there is is use by something else, it fails. What I do is run some large
program (netscape works well) to swap out a lot of memory, and then exit the
program, which hopefully frees up the memory address the kernel needs for DMA,
and then try again.

If netscape doesn't swap out enough memory, I use the "swapout" program that
is part of the ftape package. On my system with 80 mb ram, I've had to
swapout as much as 60 MB before I could play sounds. Though normally
"swapout 16" will do the trick.

I really hate this kernel problem. :-(

--
see shy jo