Netscape's Stale Lock Files -- Automatic Removal

I grew weary of starting Netscape after it crashed only to get the
message about there being a stale lock file.  So I added this small
script to my Netscape wrapper.  It seems to work.  Is there a better
way of doing this?

-------------BEGIN------------------
for lockfile in `find $HOME/.netscape -name lock`
do
  lockpid=`ls -l $lockfile | sed 's/^.*://g' `
  (ps --pid $lockpid | grep "$lockpid.*netscape") > /dev/null 2>&1
  if [ "$?" -ne 0 ]
  then
    rm $lockfile
    echo "Removed stale lock $lockfile -- $lockpid."
  else
    echo "Not Removing lock for $lockfile -- $lockpid."
  fi
done