Re: NFS as root

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, joost witteveen wrote:

> > Can you explain why it doesn't work?
>
> cause I'm an incompetent, lazy and useless maintainer, that's why.
>
> Or, put it differently, because the /tftpboot/$IP/lib directories
> are filled with libc5 versions of the libraries only, not the libc6
> versions. And, most networking utilities use libc6 now, well, things
> fail. I really have to upgrade the package.

Ah, now I know why I didn't notice it didn't work. I changed the config
files to include libc6 a long time ago on my own system. I didn't really
think of it as "hey, this package is broken". I just changed it so that it
worked.

BTW, I don't like the approach where /var and /tmp on the clients are
nfs mounts of server:/var and server:/tmp respectively. Something like
server:/var/$IP and server:/tmp/$IP would be more appropriate I guess, but
I fear it doesn't work very well with /tmp being completely emptied at
boot time.

Remco
--
"Very funny, Scotty. Now beam up my clothes."