Re: xlock

Paul Serice wrote:

> There is another solution, I think.  I recently recompiled xlockmore
> from the Debian sources to enable "bomb" mode and the "xmlock"
> program (which is working well enough with lesstif).  When I was
> reading the options, I ran across an option which lets their be an
> encrypted password in your home directory which xlock will check
> against instead of trying to use shadow passwords etc.

Yes, that is another way of getting xlock to read _a_ password, but
that still doesn't solve the problem of it not being able to read
your _nis_ password (which is mangled).  The option you speak of is
a hack which is useful for people who don't have complete control
over the machines or lan they are using.  In our case (since we do
have control over all the computers), we'd rather only have one
password per user read from a single location (i.e. nis).

The problem has now been settled.  The new xlock will check if nis
serves mangled passwords, and if it does, it will install xlock
setuid root (an unfortunate solution, but the only viable one).

Thanks anyways,

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com