Re: xlock

> No, shadow was definitely on and functioning fine.  It is xlock
> itself who can't read the password despite being setgid shadow.
>
> The problem (which I finally figured out) is that the passwords are
> being served by nis.  I have nis setup to mangle passwords for non
> root users, and since xlock doesn't run as root, there is no way
> for it to read the password from nis.  (nis mangles the password by
> returning an "x" for the password field).
>
> The are only 2 ways of fixing the problem as far as I can tell.
> 1) don't have nis mangle the passwords.
> 2) set xlock to be setuid root.
>
> I've opted for the second solution.

There is another solution, I think.  I recently recompiled xlockmore
from the Debian sources to enable "bomb" mode and the "xmlock"
program (which is working well enough with lesstif).  When I was
reading the options, I ran across an option which lets their be an
encrypted password in your home directory which xlock will check
against instead of trying to use shadow passwords etc.

Paul Serice