Re: a dummy question

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, ITom - WebIroda wrote:

> Hello,
>
> excuse me for my extreme dummy question, but I'm absolutely new to
> unix/linux/debian.
> Is there any step-by-step installation guide to install debian onto a
> win nt/95 system, even if I have to repartition it, I must have them
> after the debian installation.
> I have a debian 1.3.1 CD from CheapBytes.

Look at the file bo/disks-i386/current/install.txt on your CD-ROM (THERE
SHOULD REALLY BE A LINK TO THIS FROM THE TOP LEVEL DIRECTORY ON THE
CD-ROM!!!!).

I would also suggest that you get the Installation-HOWTO.  This is
probably on your CD in the doc-linux package, but, of course, you can't
look at that until you install! You can ftp a copy from sunsite.unc.edu in
the /pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO. This covers repartitioning, etc.

You basically have a couple of options for repartitioning: fips, which is
included on the CD-ROM, and Partition Magic, which is available
commercially and will handle FAT32, which fips does not yet support.  It
also has a very good multiple-o/s boot manager, although Lilo, which comes
in a Debian package can also be configured to do this.  There are several
good documents on this in the HOWTO/mini directory.

Of course, the usual warnings about backing up your software before
repartitioning apply, although I have not *yet* had a problem with either
fips or Partition Magic.

Bob

----
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen