Re: libc6

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Matt Thompson wrote:

> Hey, it's 'the man' hisself! :)  I guess I'm a little shy about using

I'm "the man" now?  Cool. :)

> 'force' now because that's what broke my system and a couple of people
> told me to never do that (including Ben G.).  The last time I did a force
> on libc6, it seems to me that the packages looking for libc6 still
> couldn't find it.

Generally forcing packages is a bad thing.  There are a few times when it
is appropriate however.  The main concern here is how much of unstable are
you going to install?  If you are going the entire way, upgrading libc5
from unstable is the way to go, if not, forcing libc6 (or munging
/var/lib/dpkg/status so libc5 doesn't list the conflict) is the
appropriate path.  Although you may have to fight with dselect if you
install libc6 with --force-conflicts.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/