Re: what is bzimage?

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, David S. Zelinsky wrote:

> I went to build a custom kernel with make-kpkg, and noticed the option
> to build a `zimage' kernel, instead of `bzimage' kernel ("the default").
> But I can't find any documentation anywhere of what the difference is
> between these two.  I've looked in the Kernel-HOWTO, and in all the
> documentation in /usr/src/linux.
>
> So, can someone explain what `bzimage' is, and why I might or might not
> want it?  Thanks.

There is a limit to the size of a zImage kernel (1 meg) which requires
changes to the bootload/compression that result in a bzimage (which can be
larger than 1 meg).
There are several ways you can construct a "custom kernel" that is below
the 1 meg and fit in a zImage. In the mean time, have you tried the tecra
kernel? It is in the disks-i386 directory under the tecra/ subdirectory.
You will find a drivers and rescue disk image there. Give it a try.

Luck,

Dwarf