Re: what is bzimage?

On 13 Oct 1997, David S. Zelinsky wrote:

> Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net> wrote:
> > bzimage can be used for a larger kernel image than zimage.  Some old boot
> > loaders can't handle it (though the latest version of lilo and loadlin
> > can).  There is also a problem booting them on some laptops.  For the most
> > part, it doesn't matter though.
>
> Thanks.  But what is it?
>
> If my limited understanding is correct, zimage is just a compressed copy of
> the kernel image.  Is bzimage the same, but using a different (better)
> compression algorithm?

As the number of features has increased, kernels have gotten somewhat
larger.  There was a limit on the size of the compressed kernel with
zImage (I don't know what the limit was), and bzImage has a larger limit,
like 1 MB compressed (~2 MB uncompressed).  This started in 1.3.73.

> And is this documented somewhere?

Bits and pieces in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes and the LILO and
LOADLIN documentation.  I believe it was more fully documented in the
later pre-2.0 kernel packages.

Bob

----
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen