No DPMS with xdm and xautolock?

I'm running Debian 1.3.1 on a 486 with the XF86_P9000 Xserver. My
monitor supports DPMS and I have the power_save option and StandbyTime,
SuspendTime, and OffTime options set in my XF86Config file.

The monitor suspends and powers down in X except when either running
xautolock or when at the xdm login screen. Does anyone know why this is
happening, and what I should do to enable DPMS powersaving for the xdm
login and when running a screensaver?

I've even placed the following line in /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset_0

xset dpms 900 1200 1800

And "xset q" reports that DPMS is enabled and reflects these settings.

TIA,
dL