YASQ (yet another sendmail question)

Hi,

 I've a small "intranet" running with debian. In fact, there are only two
 machines which are not connected to the internet.
 I don't use a name server on either of the machines, it's not needed.
 Addresses are read from /etc/hosts.

 I use the latest sendmail package but can't send mail from one computer to
 the other. I get something like 'Deferred: p4.: Name server : hostname lookup
 failure". Well, I don't understand what happens. I configured sendmail to not
 use any name server (FEATURE(nodns)), so there shouldn't be the cause.
 Address canonification works fine when I turn it on in sendmail.mc, so
 there's no trouble with /etc/hosts (ping,telnet,ftp and samba are ok as well)

 Is this a problem with the current sendmail package? I remember correctly, when
 I used another distribution a year ago, I solved this by recompiling sendmail.

 Any ideas what could be wrong or what I could try? Thanks,

  Ulf.