Re: Debian Netatalk and Ethernet cards

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, LeRoy D. Cressy wrote:

> > Further to this problem I have experimented some more and have the
> > following results, all on the one machine, using different cards,
> > attempting to run netatalk on the same network:
> >
> > Card Description:                       Driver (Module):        Results:
> > -----------------                       ----------------        --------
> > Intel EtherExpressPro 100 (builtin)     eepro100                BAD
> > Digital 21140                           tulip                   BAD
> > Western Digital 8013EPC                 wd                      Excellent
> >
> > While all work fine for regular IP (the first 2 especially nice as they do
> > 100Mbps) only the last one is consistently good for seeing the (large)
> > appletalk network we have here...weird, annoying and frustrating...

> On ot boxes that do not support apple talk, did you do a kernel compile
> specifying in the net section to include apple talk in the kernel?  I

Er, if you read above, all those tests were on the same machine! (So they
must have had appletalk in the running kernel.)  I ALWAYS recompile the
kernel to suit my setup.

The problem seems to be in the multicast part of the ethernet card
drivers...I'll await new versions for improvements.

Richard Shepherd (richards@waikato.ac.nz)
Phone: 07-838-4764