RE: Wordperfect files in linux

On 10-Oct-97 G. Kapetanios wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone know of a  program that will read WP files in linux ??
>
>                                           TIA
>                                            George

>George Kapetanios
>Churchill College
>Cambridge, CB3 0DS    E-Mail: GK205@cus.cam.ac.uk
>U.K.                  WWW:
>http://garfield.chu.cam.ac.uk/~gk205/work_info.html

Yes. It is called WordPerfect. WordPerfect-6.0 (Novell) for Linux has been
available for a good while from Caldera (http://www.caldera.com),
and WordPerfect-7.0 for Linux (Corel) has recently been issued (ported by
Software Development Corp -- http://www.sdcorp.com).

WordPerfect-5.1 runs very well in DOSEMU on Linux.

Sun's WABI (also available for Linux) allows most if not all 16-bit
MS-Windows applications to be run on Linux.

These of course cost money. In the UK, Lasermoon sold me WP-6.0 at a very
reasonable price (http://www.Lasermoon.co.uk). The US price for Wp-7 is
$199 (or $149 if you "trade-up").

The following remarks may not apply to George Kapetanios (and I apologise
in advance if by chance they cause offence): While it is wonderful to
have the Linux OS available both freely and for free, and while it is also
wonderful to have so much high-quality free software available on the Net,
there are certain types of applications which are not as yet well served
by the free-ware resources. These tend to be in the "Office/Business"
area, including databases, word processors, spreadsheets, accounting,
project management, and the more sophisticated CAD/DTP applications.

If you need to handle this sort of thing, you would pay good money for
them if your OS was DOS/Win, just to get the programs you need to do the
job.

You should be equally prepared to pay good money if such software has been
ported to Linux by a commercial software house. This will also assist
Linux to encroach on the territory which has been imperialised by "other"
operating systems. One (but not the only) major reason why Linux is slow
to penetrate the business/office world is that you cannot readily get the
software you need, so that Linux is likely to be a waste of time.

In this context you also have to remember that compatibility with file
formats produced on "other" systems is a must: George's own query is an
instance of this.

Sorry for the sermon ...

Best wishes to all,
Ted.