Re: Upgrading ghostscript?

(Hello Britton, sorry, I had been really lazy and didn't reply your
e-mail about your STC600 problem about a month ago... ^_^)

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Britton wrote:

> Actually, I think the st800 supports an older Epson printer.  They have
> been just brilliant about naming them.  Incidently, I bought there
> reference book, which contains info on color settings to use for the new
> printers.  This may be moot with GS 5, but it could be useful to someone
> wanting get GS 4 working optimally.  Actually, it would probably be useful
> for getting GS 5 to work with transparences and what-have-you.  I couldn't
> figure how to convert the specs to a color adjust matrix, but if anyone
> with more experience is interested, let me know.

Actually, there is some kind of colour adjust matrix settings that come
with Ghostscript 5.03.  They basically made stcolor into a generic printer
driver, with setting files for STC500, STC600 and STC800 etc.
There's a set of colour adjust matrix in stc800??.upp files.  (? I'm at
school, so I am guessing ?)

> > I am not familiar with magicfilter, but getting apsfilter to work with the
> > bjc600 driver was simply a matter of renaming several filter files, since
> > there is really only one filter and it captures the driver name from the
> > filter ame.  Possibly the same approach would work with magicfilter.
>
> That is pretty much it, in theory at least.  Rename the files there and
> int the /etc/printcap magicfilter generates for you, and away you go.
> Actually, I get endless strings of printer resets (visable in
> /var/log/messages) which I thought were due to gs, but apparently someone
> else has the stcolor driver working via direct invocation of gs, so mayby
> magicfilter is at fault.  It prints a text file though.  Wierd.

BTW, do you have Windows 95 or 3.1 on your computer?  If so, does the
EPSON printer works well under Windows?  The reason is that I had
experienced a minor problem in the past when I set the parallel port to be
ECP.  ECP doesn't seem to cooperate with the printer, but when I changed
it back to EPP, it worked fine.

The printer command set, ESC/P2 (?), should be pretty much the same for
STC500, STC600 and STC800.  Ghostscript 4.03's stcolor should be able to
support your STC600, except the lack of 1440x720dpi mode and sub-optimal
colour adjust matrix setting.  Hmm...

Have you tried invoking gs directly (i.e. by-passing magicfilter) to
print a Postscript file to your STC600?

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling            foka@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Civil Engineering                http://www.ualberta.ca/~foka/