Re: Nuisances with Ethernet network.

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Dr. Daniel Mashao wrote:

> My /var/log/messages file grows by leaps and bounds all because it keeps
> getting the following message
>
> Oct  7 16:54:03 vitasat kernel:         eth0 EtherII and eth0 802.2
> Oct  7 16:54:21 vitasat kernel: IPX: Network number collision 53
> Oct  7 16:54:21 vitasat kernel:         eth0 EtherII and eth0 802.2
> Oct  7 16:54:25 vitasat kernel: IPX: Network number collision 53
> Oct  7 16:54:25 vitasat kernel:         eth0 EtherII and eth0 802.2
>
> over and over. Now I cannot find out where it comes from and how to
> disable it and of course what it means. My connection seems to work fine.

try setting different IPX network numbers for the Ethernet_II and 802.2
frame types.  see /etc/ipx.conf and the man pages in ipx package:
ipx_interface(8), ipx_internal_net(8), ipx_route(8), and ipx_configure(8).
more info can be found in the /usr/doc/ipx directory, and in the IPX
HOWTO.

if you don't need novell compatibility then get rid of the ipx, ipxripd, and
ncpfs packages.

btw, what does 'cat /proc/net/ipx_route' and 'cat /proc/net/ipx_interface'
look like?

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract