ssh

Ok.  I'm trying to use ssh to connect between remote machines,  say from
my machine to master.debian.org.  I've read the docs but I'm still
confused:

1) how do I enter a host into the "list of named hosts" that ssh is always
talking about?  I've tried make-ssh-known-hosts but it always dumps with
"no such file".

2) How do I tell if my session is really encrypted or not?  Apparently if
there's no secure connection it just uses .rhost ... that's not real
great.

                     					Will

			        harpo@udel.edu
			       lowe@cis.udel.edu