Re: X-Terminal? How?

On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Heiko Heijenga wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I have two debian systems linked with an ethernet cable. On the most powerfull
> machine I have X installed. On the other I've only a textconsole.
> How do I use the second (slower) machine as an X-Terminal. I really haven't go
> a clue, do I have to install a minimum version of X on that machine, please
> help me.

If you just want it to be an X terminal, it's real simple, assuming you
have already set up tcp/ip on the ethernet cable.

On the computer that you want to be an X terminal, you only need to
install and configure an X server.

First, start up xdm on the 'powerful machine' ('power'). You do this by
changing the line "no-start-xdm" in /etc/X11/config to "start-xdm" and
then running "/etc/init.d/xdm start" as root. If you don't want xdm to
manage the display on 'power' (i.e. you want to use startx to start X
there), comment out the line for :0 in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers. For a
detailed explanation of all the config files for xdm, do "man xdm".

Then, on the other computer, run "X -query <ip_number_of_'power'>". This
should do the trick, if I haven't forgotten anything (replace
<ip_number_of_'power'> with the ip number of the 'powerful computer').

Remco