Problem installing Debian 1.3.1 on Thinkpad 760ED

Hello !

  I have been trying for about two days to install Debian 1.3.1 on a Thinkpad
760ED with XGA graphics - but without any luck :-(

  When I boot from the rescue disk (yes - I have used the floppy=thinkpad
option), the root.bin and linux are loaded - and nothing more. After the
newline in 'Loading linux..............' the machine simply stops and are
completely non-responsive.

  I have tried tearing off all additional equipment (network and memory),
compiling a new kernel (2.0.30) on a different machine, with all
'suspicious looking' modules left off - but nothing works, and no difference
from above.

  My last try was to get a RedHat dist., from another guy in the company - that
started installing without any problems !

  To me it seems like there is a problem with the boot-process of Debian, or
a module that I have overlooked which causes this behaviour.

  Has anyone experienced similar problems? And what were the solutions, if any?

Best regards

  Hans

--
*   Hans Moeller Pedersen   | E-mail: hmp@delta.dk                  *